slide3What is TESL, ESL, TEFL, etc.?

The One Practice, Many Names: The profession originally known as ESL (English as a Second Language) has gone through many changes in name. TESL (Teaching English as a Second Language) refers to teaching English in an English-speaking country; TEFL (Teaching English as a Foreign Language) refers to teaching English in a non-English-speaking country. Then came TESOL (Teaching English to Speakers of Other Languages). Though the names differ from one certification program to the next, the teaching techniques are well established. Get a certificate in one, and you can apply it to any program be it TEFL, TESL, TESOL, ESL, EFL, ELL or ESOL.

Is this program accredited?

Credits for the Graduate Certificate in TESOL are awarded by City University of Seattle which is accredited by the Northwest Commission on Colleges and Universities, a regional accrediting body approved by the U.S. Department of Education. Regional accreditation serves as the most important means of assuring the quality of higher education through rigorous peer-review and evaluation. CityU has maintained continuous accreditation with the Commission since 1978, earning reaffirmation of accreditation in its last review in 2010.

How long will it take me to finish the TESOL certification?

The time required to complete the Graduate Certificate TESOL or Graduate Certificate TESOL-Advanced programs will vary depending on how quickly you take the courses. There are three courses offered online every quarter, and eight courses offered on-campus in our Summer Intensive series. International students on an F-1 visa are required to take the program full-time.

What is the difference between the certificate and the endorsement?

The Graduate Certificate in TESOL is available to all students who hold a Bachelor’s degree and can prove English proficiency. It is an internationally-recognized certificate for teaching English abroad. The ELL Endorsement is designed for K-12 educators who wish to endorse their teaching credential through Washington State’s Office of the Superintendent of Public Instruction. The ELL Endorsement program is available through City University of Seattle’s Albright School of Education.

What kind of undergraduate (Bachelor’s) degree is required as a prerequisite for the program?

A potential student in the TESOL program may have an undergraduate degree in any field.  We have had students who have been awarded an undergraduate degree in everything from Law to Anthropology.

What is the total cost of the program?

The total cost of the program depends on many factors. If you are able to transfer courses from your previous university credits, it’s possible that you will not have to take all of the required courses. To determine your total tuition, calculate the number of credits required for the classes you must take, and then multiple that by $200. Please click here to see our Tuition page.

Is on-campus housing available during the summer intensive program?

No, at this time we do not have housing opportunities available for on-campus students. We will update with more information if and when this changes.

What are your policies on attendance and grading?

WAL follows all City University of Seattle grading policies. Please click here (pdf) for the CityU course catalog.

 After I graduate from the program, will you help me with job placement?

We are, primarily, a teaching institution and not a placement agency. However, we will forward any teaching opportunities that we receive to students enrolled in the program. Instructors can write letters of recommendation and our Career Center can provide general advice regarding where to look and what issues are important when securing a job. With the graduate level certification in-hand, students should not have any difficulty finding employment abroad. Students will receive a university transcript and the certificate.

Can I take all my courses online?

Yes, you may take all of your courses online. Because only two or three courses are typically offered per quarter, you will be able to complete your certificate in as little as 3 quarters. International students in the United States on an F-1 visa may only take on-campus Summer Intensive courses except as permitted under F-1 regulations.

What’s the difference between a Master’s program in TESOL and the Graduate Certificate in TESOL and Graduate Certificate in TESOL-Advanced?

While WAL’s program is a graduate level program, it results in a certificate rather than a Master’s degree. These courses will, however, count toward a TESOL emphasis area in the City University of Seattle Master’s of Education in Adult Learning. Please click here for more information.

Do you provide financial aid/scholarships?

We are unable to offer financial aid and scholarships at this time. However, we can accept Americorps, VISTA, vocational rehabilitation, and Boeing vouchers. Alternative loans are also available through many lenders for tuition. For more information, please contact the City University of Seattle Office of Financial Aid.