Join City University of Seattle’s 2017 TESOL Summer Intensive Institute and earn your Graduate Certificate in TESOL in as little as 5 weeks! Our five week, 15 Credit, Graduate TESOL Certificate program prepares students to teach English as a Second Language both domestically and abroad, allowing credits to be applied towards a future MEd in Adult Education.
Over the course of 5 weeks, in the downtown heart of Seattle, Washington, participants learn:
1. TESOL 510 Principles of Language Learning & Teaching (3 credits)
2. TESOL 530 Teaching Grammar (3 credits)
3. TESOL 525 Methods of Teaching Language (3 credits)
4. TESOL 540 Strategies for Teaching the Four Skills (3 credits)
5. TESOL 555 Materials Development & Selection (3 credits)
The first 4 courses are mandatory, in residence with three possible pathways for the 5th course:
• Option A: 5th course in residence; completion within one week
• Option B: 5th course taken online (completion within 5 weeks following intensive)
• Option C: Teach in Mexico Experience (see details below); 5th course taken online (completion within 5 weeks following intensive)
Taught by world class instructors with extensive international and academic experience, class size is kept small (maximum 12 students) to give individual mentor-ship to each participant.
Classes meet from 9:00 am- 3:00 pm
|July 10- July 14, 2017||TESOL 510, Principles of Language Learning & Teaching (3 credits)|
|July 17- July 21, 2017||TESOL 530, Teaching Grammar (3 credits)|
|July 24- July 28, 2017||TESOL 525, Methods of Teaching Language (3 credits)|
|July 31- August 4, 2017||TESOL 540, Strategies for Teaching the Four Skills (3 credits)|
|August 7- August 11, 2017||TESOL 555, Materials Development & Selection (3 credits)|
|Credits||Cost for Domestic Students||International Student Cost|
|3 credits (1 class)||$780||$935|
|15 credits (full program)||$3900||$4675*|
*International students must also have health insurance ($244).
Internships with City University
These internship experiences can be used to fulfill the TESOL 590 requirement in the M.Ed in Adult Education and must be taken online with TESOL 555 within one quarter.
Teach in Mexico Experience
City University offers an attractive third option for students who may be planning to start an M.Ed in Adult Education with a TESOL concentration AFTER successful completion of their TESOL certificate. Or, they may simply wish to experience teaching abroad. In the Teach in Mexico Experience, students will spend one quarter (11 weeks) at one of UPAEP’s nine bilingual high schools in beautiful Puebla where they will assist English and content instructors in the classroom and act as a cultural ambassadors of English. The roles and responsibilities of the intern will be determined by the host high school and will vary based on each school’s immediate needs. These expectations will be clearly outlined before students are placed in a given school.
Teach at CityU in Seattle!
In the heart of downtown Seattle, CityU’s campus is conveniently located near shops and bus lines and our residency hall is within walking distance. Students who choose our Seattle location as their internship site will work with an experienced mentor as they assist in facilitating classroom activities. This option is only available to students enrolled in the M.Ed in Adult Education Degree Program.
Information for International Students
Deadline for international students is April 1st. We will provide an I-20 to accepted applicants, which will be used to apply for the F-1 visa.
Please submit the following items to apply:
1. Application- email firstname.lastname@example.org
2. Application fee ($50)
3. Copy of your passport ID page
4. Copy of your bank statement that shows the amount you have in the bank, the address of the bank, and a signature from someone at the bank. Bank statement should show at least $6,840.
5. Official score reports of an English placement test (iTEP or TOEFL)
Do you not meet the English Language Proficiency requirements? We have an English Program, that you may attend before you begin your TESOL studies. You must successfully complete level 8 of our program by June 2017 in order to start the TESOL program. Please email us for more information about this option.
Domestic and International Students may decide to live in the residence hall. The deadline to apply for the residence hall is June 1st. Students who do not live in the residence hall, must arrange their own housing.